An online diary


lørdag den 31. oktober 2015

Thing 21: Creating Infographics

Infographics may not be as new as one should think. When I searched for free-to-use pictures on the web I came across this Canadian poster from WW1.



If only this meant that creating infographics were easy!
I may have the anaytical skills, but I feel I lack creativity to convey the data in a compelling and understandable way at the same time.

It's great with the free tools with lots of templates - I would never get there if I had to start from scratch with some complicated, professional graphic tool.

At our library we definately could use som infographic - one explaining how to use the photocopier, for example - because more and more of our users are foreign or not good readers.

I've used Canva to design birthday cards an so on just like we used Microsoft Publisher many years ago. (Whatever happened to Publisher?)


I would like to rework my CV into a graphic presentation to make it more appealing and easy to comprehend.

But for now I've had a look at the website of The White House seen through the Wayback Machine.
This is my first infographic and I know it doesn't make use of the many visual tricks I've noticed in the good ones. But infographics are much harder work than they look like - even if you have a template! I guess I'll only start one if I have something really important to tell :-)





2 kommentarer:

  1. Wonderful that you used an infographic from WW1 as well as creating your own. #rudai23

    SvarSlet
  2. Yes, isn't the old poster funny. There was a series of four posters with the same theme: Canada must produce more butter, eggs, pork and beef, Britain needs it - all explained with numbers and saying graphics.

    SvarSlet