An online diary


lørdag den 7. november 2015

Thing 22: Mobile Things

Thinking about the subject of apps I realized that I don't use any apps in my work life. I'm always in front of a pc and the nearest work-related app I can think of is LinkedIn - and I only use that for private career purposes.


My colleagues at the public library, where I work, teach different apps to our users - especially the e-lending apps providing books, magazines, films and music. With Zinio as the only exception they are all Danish solutions and hence not very interesting for others to read about.


I've had a look at Gum - A social network of things and the idea of using the app in a library context is great. Reader to reader recommendations are always popular. In my home I couldn't find any product with a barcode that had been scanned and commented on - not even a can of a popular soft drink :-)

I know the beacon technology and - middle aged as I am - I am a bit ambivalent. Fundamentally I don't like being disturbed by push messages all the time where ever I go. But on the other hand if I was notified about something I would really like to have known about and otherwise would have missed, that might of course be nice. But that's the classic dilemma with information technology: getting just the right amount of relevant information at any time.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Do you think push notifications can deter users from using a service? #rudai23

    SvarSlet
  2. Push notifications need to be taylored to each person in order to provide real value. In my experience most services are not good enough on that point, yet. For example, I get messages about every delayed train on my line all day long, even though I'm only interest in trains in the morning and afternoon. But I can't tell the service provider that. If the train information - when relevant - really weren't highly relevant to me, I would unsubscribe from the service right away. Meanwhile, I live with the annoyance because I want the benefit.

    SvarSlet