An online diary


søndag den 18. oktober 2015

Thing 17: Reflective practice

Going through every Thing and having to write about the tool and my experience with it has been daunting and time-consuming but of course very, very helpful.

It has forced me to think about the particular tool in two ways: how it was to work with and how it would be useful or not to me in my everyday work. Especially the last is essential, I think, and what makes all the difference.


Writing the blog posts helps me remember each tool better and hopefully use them if and when they (or other similar tools available) become relevant and useful. 

But looking for example at the different collaboration tools has made it very clear to me, that my job is rather solitary and introvert. I don't do much collaboration with neither colleagues nor custoumers/clients. This has made me think more about whether this is in accordance with my nature and something I'm happy with - or if I just ended up in a job like this by accident but in reality would prefer to work closer with others.

The tools are just that - tools - but learning about them put a spotlight om how we work whether on our own or with others and the tasks we have. Do we do it smart enough and do we do enough of the right things?

At the library where I work, we almost exclusively talk about service and what our users get from us. That is important, of course, I'm not denying that, but I sometimes miss time and space to talk about how we work and how we cater to our own needs for attention, encouragement, and inspiration. How do we learn from each other, exchange experiences and ideas in a busy work place? For example our intranet is totally outdated. It is visually unappealing and only suited for giving messages - it does not work as a social media at all. And our work documents, i.e forms, schedules, project descriptions, strategies etc, are still buried deep down in an inflexible and confusing file structure.

I think I'll on y own start by using more of the tools and try to organise my work around them - especially the Things that are presented after this reflective practice. I probably can't change the way my work place is organized, but I can definitely put more new energy into my own tasks

1 kommentar:

  1. It's interesting that your reflective has triggered thoughts about whether your job is meeting your social needs. I wonder if any other #rudai23 participants have had similar moments.

    SvarSlet