An online diary


søndag den 23. august 2015

Thing 9: Video and screencast

This screencasting thing is something I have been looking forward to trying because this is really useful to me. 


I would love to make short instruction videos for all kinds of databases and other tools on the web. This is what I missed when we looked at podcasting.

But my first attempts with screencasting weren't very succesfull, I must admit.

For some unknown technical reason (firewall, perhaps) I didn't manage to launch Screencast-O-Matic directly from the website or download the app, either :-(
I would have prefered to use Screencast-O-matic, though, because of the editing options.

But I managed to shoot a recording using Jing, and I really liked the simplicity of it. I also think that a five minutes limit is a good thing - it forces one to focus and get to the point :-) Better make more vidoes, each with its own topic, if you need more time to explain e.g. how to find the way through a database.

This is my first attempt into screencasting:
http://screencast.com/t/wjIlh7TqQp


But then I never figured out to upload it to my Youtube account. I couldn't find the file itself (only the URL) and drag & drop didn't work. Since my little video is recorded without sound I would have wanted to play around with annotations in Youtube.

Anyway! Even though I got stuck - again - because of my limited tech skills, I'm still positive and I know people I can ask for help, so I'll get it nailed eventually. Because screencasting is something I really want to use!

Tradidional video is not something I can see myself using. But my colleagues used it a lot during the time our new library was being built. They were uploaded to a dedidated website following the progress every two or three weeks or so and it was a great way to present the project and create interest and expectations in the new and much more creative place for the future public library.

We also have different image videos on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/105872881


____________________
Jeg har set frem til at lære om screencasting og det er helt sikkert noget, jeg skal have kigget mere på. At lave små instruktionsvideoer til databaser og andet er noget, jeg kan se et meget stort potentiale i.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Screencast looks great. I like that you also talked about the challenges you faced in creating your screencast. #rudai23

    SvarSlet
  2. While the relationship of stocks to the dollar has not always been ""down dollar = up stocks"" it has been this year. And in this market, that

    which gets rewarded gets repeated until someone's throat gets ripped out.
    At times it has been that a strong dollar meant a strong America and a strong economy. All rules of logic are gone due to the oligarchs

    running the government.
    http://www.screencast.com/

    SvarSlet