An online diary


torsdag den 13. august 2015

Thing 8: Curation Tools

If my work place is my second home, Pinterest is my third! 


I spend hours on Pinterest. I've realised that one of the things I personally like about Pinterest is that I can choose to stay there - I don't have to surf off to other places on the web. Can just stay there and enjoy and collect pretty pictures and useful links to explore ... some other time ;-)


As with most of the other tools I mainly use Pinterest for my own personal entertainment, and my Pinterest account contains several DIY, crochet and sewing boards. But I do have a professional board with tips on social media - mainly Linkedin - and a board with tips on job searching.

Not many of my pins are library relevant, but then again my job isn't a typical library job. But I certainly see the potential in these content curation tools as a way to collect, order and display relevant stuff to library users, students or clients.

I don't see Pinterest as a social media if social means direct exhange and conversation between people. I know you can comment on and send people pins you think they should see. You can also collaborate and build boards together in a group. But the format and layout is not very suitable for longer discussions.

Because I already know Pinterest, I wanted to take a closer look as Flipboard and set out to start a magazine on information professionalism. Its look appeals to me and I find it more suited than Pinterest  for collecting articles.
But I regret to say that I can't make it work - neither the app on my phone nor the labtop version.

I'll leave it there for now, but I'll keep an eye on the tool and hopefully start using it eventually.



_____________________
Pinterest er kendt territorium, og jeg tilbringer en del tid der i min fritid. Men har da også et par boards relateret til job og jobsøgning.
Flipboard, hvor man kan sammensætte magasiner, ser tiltalende ud, og jeg kunne se en idé i at at bruge den til at samle faglige artikler - mere egnet end Pinterest, der primært fungerer som et billed-medie for mig. Men desværre kan jeg ikke få Flipboard til at virke. Jeg kan ikke "flippe" artikler ind i applikationen.
Så jeg lade den ligge for nu, og må se, om den bliver mere håndterbare hen ad vejen.

1 kommentar:

  1. You make Pinterest sound like a peaceful place to hang out online. I hope I feel the same when I get to that stage of #rudai23.

    SvarSlet