An online diary


mandag den 20. juli 2015

Thing 5: Online Networks

I created my Facebook and Twitter profiles less and a year ago and I don't use them much - maybe I'm just not that talkative.

 

Facebook is mainly for keeping sort of up-to-date with what my friends and relatives near or distant are up to these days - although it's usually old news when I finally check in. The rest is quite frankly almost always a waste of time - silly jokes and videos, unpleasant political statements, commercial competitions. I have been following a few subject related groups, but I feel there was too much noise, so I left again.




Twitter is ... interesting, but tiresome. I see Twitter's potential and why I ought to use it more to broaden my horizon and discover new things. But the format really annoys me - it's too short, too esoteric and too ugly. And then I'm reluctant to click through to webpages where I'm not sure what I get - I don't have the patience for it. So I usually end up just reading my favourite stand up guy's one liners.

As I said, I feel I ought to search out interesting professionals or institutions to follow on Facebook and twitter - I've heard a lot of interesting discussions are going on there about librarianship, society, politics etc. But I just don't find the time to spend on these two chatty media.

Now, Pinterest ... that's a whole other story!






____________________
Facebook og Twitter har aldrig rigtig fænget mig - måske er jeg bare ikke snakkesalig nok. På Facebook er der for meget støj, så jeg burger det udelukkende som sporadisk oplysningskanal om mine venner og families gøren og laden.
Twitter har sadsynligvis potentiale til meget mere med en bredere horisont, men formatet irriterer mig. Det er for kort, for indforstået og for grimt til at jeg orker det i længden. Og jeg har ikke tåmodighed til at klikke på links, som jeg ikke rigtig ved, hvad jeg vil få ud af. Mediet egner sig godt til stand upperes one liners!
Pinterest derimod - det er en ganske anden sag!


3 kommentarer:

  1. Hej på dig! I totally agree with you about Facebook and Twitter, I too find them a bit of a waste of time. Maybe it's a Scandinavian thing! However I must say I'm really impressed with your social media skills, I am struggling to come to grips with it all and it's been a real learning curve. Congratulations to you!

    SvarSlet
  2. Do you think Pinterest has much to offer librarians, in terms of connecting as an online network?

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Hi Caroline. I think Pinterest is mainly a source of inspiration and exchange/contribution of ideas. But as a networking media I think it has a limited function. I know you can comment and communicate in connection with pins but for collaboration or discussions it doesn't work well, I think.

      Slet